A virtual private network (VPN) is a private network which uses a public network to connect a remote site or user together. VPN allows you to connect to the internet through a server run by a VPN provider. All information transfer between your computer, tablet or phones through this VPN server are strictly protected. At this point the VPN serves various function for your computer connection these includes;
- Protect you against hacker and fraudster when using a public Wi-Fi connection.
- Provide privacy by hiding your internet activity from fraudster and web scammers.
- Allow you to able to retain your location even when you are on holidays, and you want your current location to be anonymous to friend or colleagues.
Meanwhile, VPN was not the first technology to make your data and information inaccessible when connected to an unsecured network. A long time ago, the best way to connect computers between different offices was through leased line. But nowadays people consider VPN because it is very easily to access, fast and safer.
Where can VPN technology be used?
VPN technology allows a business enterprise network to safely discharge useful information with other branch offices, home user, and business partners. Therefore VPN can be categories into three:
- Remote access VPN. This connects the mobile user, smaller remote offices with minimal traffic to the enterprise and corporate computing resources. Remote access customer is a single computer user that connect to a private internet connection from a far location.
- Intranet VPN. This connects a secure or stable location such as home offices and branch offices. The user of intranet VPN with the proper permission or access can establish a remote access connection with the server and gained access to the secured resources or data.
- Extranet VPN. This deals with business partners such as the manufacture and the consumer or the suppliers and consumers.
How do VPN works? The concept behind VPN technology applies to the inter medium between public networks and private networks. A well-packaged VPN uses various method to ensure that your connection and data are well protected. When you are connected to the internet, all your request will be going to the internet directly, just as all the data return to your computer directly. With that VPN create a tunnel between your computer and the VPN center that is all your outgoing data or information will be protected before sending to the VPN server. Also instead of exposing your real IP address, the server will only recognize the IP address of the VPN server. VPN makes your computer decrypt the data and display whatever program you are using.
VPN tunneling is a network technology that enables the grouping together of protocols packed within the datagram of a different network. Tunneling is a means by which encrypted data are transferred across the public network. Also, we should have it at back of our mind that tunneling does not provide our data security without the help of VPN. Tunneling requires some protocols which are highlighted below:
- Passenger protocol.
- Encapsulating protocol.
- Carrier protocol.